Sunday 26 September 2010

Starting Early To Be Our Parent's Dream Child



Remember those days when your parents dream of making you a world class gymnast, a 8th Grader (highest grade) in Piano and at the same time be able to perform a violin piece on world stage. Be the best ballerina and a champion swimmer. A national badminton player and even at least a state runner?

I started with swimming when I was 6 years old. Didn't get me anywhere, only up to the club level. Next.
I took up tennis and followed daddy to his weekly games at the club, but I think most of the time I laughed too hard that I have no more energy left to hit those tennis balls. Coach gave up on me. Next.
Started following mama and abang to the driving range. Hit some balls, and looked out to see how far I've managed to hit. Potential was there I think, but as a kid I did not see the "beauty" of hitting the ball and watch it fly. I made friends with abang's coaches instead.
I'm such a failure.

When I was 8, I started Piano. I'd say I did pretty well, but remember how it's every parents dream to have world class kids? So at 10, I joined gymnastic, and the rest was a beautiful history. Thankfully, I had a mother who has the most beautiful fairness on her skin, so driven to make me the best daughter giving my all in everything that I do and a daddy with the best height and greatest champion's mentality. Fortunately, I made it into the team and was then trained and coached to represent the Selangor state and my Malaysia in international meets. Priceless experience and the most precious 8 years of my life serving my state and country! :) :)

Now, I see my nieces being exposed to life the same way I was when I was little!

Uncle Jack coaching the lil nieces on Tennis 101 basics
Fast learner Sophie is!
and an excellent hit and posture from Lydia!
Reana being the most hardworking ball picker
Julia holding a tennis racquet even bigger than her
Half time!
Some motivational words from her other coach

Now it's game time!!!
Introducing...
My Lil Miss Diligent Line-Reader and

My Cutest Ball Picker
My darling playing "hits" with abang
and Uncle Jack teaching his really lousy cousin how to play too - ME :P
Today was such a good fine Sunday and I really needed the exercise after a whole weekend of eating and attending so many open houses, I swear! I have always loved a well-spent cousins-and-nieces day out at the court and I believe that I have finally truly understood the want of every parent to have 'the best kid in town!' today. I hope I won't be too hard on my own kids next time! 

Did I mention that I only made it till Grade 6 for Piano before I had the guts to tell my parents that I call it quits. Too much pressure to handle when you need to compete for the state and country, if you know what I mean :P Seriously, that wasn't just an excuse!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Approaching the stage where one begins to understnd why every parents push their kids to d limit. Not to torture them but to better prepare them for what lies ahead...