Saturday 6 August 2011

No Stranger


This was written on 20 July 2011 but I was too sleepy to publish it by the time I got home!

No stranger

Previously I thought my schedule was at its craziest when I had rehearsals during the day and futsal training afterwards. So, it’s 7am-till-11pm worth of physical and vocal activities. By the time I get home, it’ll be close to 12 and I’ll be too exhausted to do anything anymore. That went on for a few weeks!

I was wrong.

Currently, right now is definitely the toughest ever. Now that I am back at work full time and Dreamgirls has started running from 13th July- 24th July, it is beyond hectic! So, my day starts at 6.30 am. Office hours run till 5.30 pm for me, latest. Rush to Istana Budaya for my call time. Get dressed up, mic-ed up, and made up by 8 pm. Show starts at 8.30 pm and would end at about 11.30 pm ish. Get unchanged, mic-ed out, return back everything to step one and then go out to meet the audience. By the time I get home and get ready for bed it’ll already be about 2 am. That’s excluding weekends when we run 4 shows straight! I just don’t look like me at work on Monday!

6.30 am – 2 am. 19.5 hours of physical and vocal activities, mentally stressed and work exhaustion. Every. Single. Day. I’ve never ever felt this knackered before. I look like a zombie now and I’ve lost track of time and day.

What’s not a stranger to me anymore these days is the fact that I realize I wake up in my sleep. It wasn’t too chronic previously when I would sometimes dream of us dancing to a choreography. Once after watching Super 8, I dreamt of exactly the scenes from Super 8 when there were fights going on in the background, but this time with us dancing the Dreamgirls’ moves! And quite scarily, I think my dream came true the day we had the BERSIH rally. Fights were going on in KL, whilst we Dreamgirls continued rehearsing happily. 

But these days, I sometimes ‘see’ my fellow Dreamgirls. At times I ‘see’ my costumes hanging by the cupboard and when I get closer, there’s actually nothing there. I communicate with them that I ‘see’ too. Yes, I actually get out of bed and start taking my cue, interact and perform my routines. I am not kidding! Funny thing is, I realize all these happening, and at the same time also realize that it’s actually sleeping time. My system gets very confused! I tell my body to sleep, but it has this fear of missing a cue when I need to go on stage. Once, I found myself waking up on the floor. Unexplainably weird but I’m used to it already now.

The priceless experience that sometimes can be so unexplainable. 

2 comments:

kautsar abd rahman said...

WOW. I do hope your body gets to wind down a bit this fasting month, and get its well-deserved rest while at it :) Big big well done for Dreamgirls, and for juggling life like that!! (it's an amazing feat and truly inspiring)

Alia Ishak said...

Thank you Syat! :) Kan? Ish, macam sleep walking dancing semua sekali la. I think if I'm the one witnessing it, I'd probably be scared of myself :(