Monday 12 November 2012

Subsets and Sigma Algebras with Praying Water

Since the time changed 2 weeks ago, the prayer time has also shifted to become shorter. And I mean WAY WAY shorter. So, sometimes, zuhur and asar are right smack in between a 3-hours lecture and then I'd need to figure out how to slip out to pray without having to miss my lecture (the multi faith prayer room is so far!) or when I go out to a place where there are no prayer rooms.

And then there's the whole "Do not touch or bump into me" explanation to do to my guy friends. "Why?" '"Because I have 'Praying water'". "What water?!" Hahahaha!!

Being abroad in countries like the UK means, I do not have the privilege of walking into malls with prayer rooms, nor do we have the free time allocated just for prayers in school. Because of this, I've been able to experience something new and that is...

to pray in changing rooms or empty lecture halls! 
:)

Seriously, it is the most convenient thing to do. The empty lecture hall is just next door, so I just need to pop over into the ladies, perform abulution and pray! Similarly, usually before leaving the house, I'd take my 'praying water' and then just pretend that I need to try on some clothes at Harrods or something and pray in the changing room.

My coursemates are so used to me bringing my kiblat compass around and they're the most understanding people to have, really, Super blessed Alhamdulillah. They're Christians, Buddhist, free thinkers, but MasyaAllah, they look out for halal food for me and remind me about prayer times even :)

Best part from last week though was when I came out of the empty lecture theatre, one of them said:

"Ok, I stand far away from you! Wait, why can't I touch you then you cannot pray?"
Well to put it simply, "I cannot have skin contact with a guy I can potentially marrĂ¿"
"So means if you touch me you can marry me?"
"Well....yeah. If you convert"
"My religion needs the other to convert"
"Then duhhh, I won't marry you"
"So means I can touch you?"
"No! How to explain this simply? Just that in reality, if you like me, I like you, I love you, you love me, we see a future together, then we may decide to marry and that is legal. So you are potentially someone I can marry. You're like a subset"
"Ahhh! Got it! There's many subsets, so I'm one of the element of a sigma algebra. So you cannot touch aiman coz he's also a subset of the probability space, and him and him and him *points at random guys*"
"Yes! But Aiman's like F measurable at all subscript t. Why are you explaining in maths terms?!"
"Hahaha! Aiman has a sum symbol in front of him. *Still laughing* It's easier to understand"
"You're so gonna ace your exams"
 -________-"

2 comments:

kookaburra said...

hi alia,

When I went for hajj, we were taught to use a spray to perform ablution. It is particular helpful when we travel to places where it's impossible to do it properly or its difficult for you to get to the nearest loo:) Well, u can use any spray, not necessarily the one design to perform ablution. (I use the empty spray normally sold in the travel pack)

The way I was taught is:

1- You need to perform ablution before you leave the house. So, you can use the spray afterwards to redo ur wudhu.
2- You need to spray each body part only once (face, hand, head, feet)
3- If you are wearing socks, you can only rub it on the socks itself as your feet is clean since you perform ablution before putting it on at home.

Is it kinda confusing isn't it? Hahaha! Well, the Arabs normally do things easier than we as malaysian do.

Maybe this link helps:)
http://ijaie.blogspot.com/2011/11/day-13-4-november-2011-friday-spray.html

Alia Ishak said...

Thank you very much for the tips! :) Will keep that in mind for sure! For now, getting to the ladies to ambil wudhu' isn't that difficult, it's just next to the lecture hall :)