Friday 27 December 2013

Habits

Had this random chat with my colleagues about spending most parts of my everyday with them that has made me pick up habits I never used to have (excessively or any at all). It was a lot of little little habits that aren't really revenue-generating in case you're wondering, but has shaped me in some ways.

Reading excessively. Reading the worldwide news to sleep and switching on BBC headlines first thing when I wake up. Sometimes, I don't think I'm even listening to it completely, but snippets do get documented in my head, enough to make small discussions about it at work.

Saying out (not super) loud the Bloomberg notification that pops up on the iPhone. They do it a lot in the office.

Chewing gum. May not do it very often since gum makes me hungry, but because my colleagues have a habit of popping them into their mouths and offering me some, it has become a routine.

Skillfully tossing something across the trading floor. Sharpened my skills they have! From phones to stress balls to reports. It's like a flying zone on some days. Cause you know, every minute counts, and standing up and walking to the other side of the floor would have wasted you some very precious seconds!

Punching stock picks on Bloomberg at any time of the day. Reasons behind a price move makes me curious. I'm still learning to spot on reasons immediately.

Making a comment without having the fear of not making sense. Making a buy or sell call within the office. This, they've taught me so very well, especially when asking for my opinion and have never told me I don't make sense but instead try to guide my thought process towards our intended conclusion. 

Writing and scribbling every information I hear on the trading floor, even when it is not my client nor my call to attend to. I just get curious. Sometimes at the end of the day, I look down at my book and the numbers I've written down don't make sense. However, magically, when someone asks for the numbers, I could clarify it (without being able to justify it maybe).

Eating vegetables. I'm not a big fan of vegetables, but when sat down in front of my boss and colleagues, I have this pressure to eat my greens. I even get whatsapp reminders from my colleagues to eat more vegetables when I'm not around them. 

Have a calculator in my bag. I don't always have to use it, but I feel the need to be able to calculate on the go. My superstar colleagues have this crazy ability to just do everything in their heads, I feel pressured sometimes. 

Memorizing stock tickers and commission rates. I believe this was because I used to panic at the thought that I don't know it when my Boss asks for it.

They've definitely changed me to be a better worker and a better person as a whole. Went through this and I cannot stop falling in love with my colleagues again and again. Everyday :) 

No comments: