Thursday 12 February 2015

3rd National Aspiration and Leadership Symposium 2015 (#NALS2015)

Last weekend was my first time speaking in front of 1,600 young student leaders at the National Aspiration & Leadership Symposium (NALS). When I first got invited to speak at the event, I was shocked. I thought maybe they were actually looking for a different Alia Ishak. I had a look at the list of speakers, YB KJ, Dato' Seri Hishamuddin, Saiful Bahari Baharom and....they definitely got the wrong Alia!

Jokes aside, I was impressed from up on stage seeing the number of young leaders who made time on Saturday to attend NALS. Their level of energy was just amazing! Reminded me of YCM and I guess that's probably what the speakers usually feel. Proud to see so many enthusiastic young blood ready to learn, feel motivated and get inspired to rule the world!
On the panel with me were Michael Teoh, Rahman Hussin and Rizmel. So you can see the demographic of the session - political leaders (Rahman and Rizmel) vs non political leaders (Michael and I). We had to share our thoughts on Credibility in Youth Leadership. Whilst Rahman's and Rizmel's were more skewed to the political goals, Michael and I touched more on the corporate and entrepreneur side. 

I shared my thoughts about the importance of having Integrity, especially when working in a Banking and Customer Service sector as well as my experiences as a student leader in UKEC and Chairman of YCM. I've always believed that you have to do what you love, only then would you wake up excited, eager and happy to go to work every single day. When you're happy, every negative becomes a positive. Additionally, to do more than just study whilst you're in University - be proactive, get involved and boost up that CV of yours. 

My experience working in London tells me that paper qualification for Asian students doesn't really mean much because everyone scores string of As these days! What can differentiate you is your extra curricular and how those experiences further build your character. These value-added characteristics are what (potential) employers look for in a person. 
All in all, I had a priceless experience speaking with the very energetic and inspiring line of youth leaders moderated by the ever so cheerful Danni Rais. I'm not a fan of politics, not a fan of even talking about politics (I will become that person who will question you whichever party you are for, just because haha!), but I have to give it to Rahman and Rizmel - they shared some very crucial points about doing something you are passionate about and going down to the ground and getting your hands dirty. 

I've learned that it doesn't matter who you work for, what is important is you have to always make a conscious effort and have the best of intentions in making sure you do things the right way and InsyaAllah you will go far - (slowly but) surely. Religion has taught me that Allah SWT will always know your truest intentions. Humans tend to always remember that one bad thing but have less capability in acknowledging the good and right deeds that you do. Just do good (deeds the right way) anyway. Allah SWT knows all your intentions :) 

Once again, thank you for the very kind invitation NALS! I had a blast with the 1,600 attendees :)))

1 comment:

Joannfoca said...

wow such a great experience! =D