Saturday 14 February 2009

up uP and AWAY!

So here's the break down that would probably have acted as a wake up call to many of us. Pretty sure most of us have been following the numbers and by now would probably see the one way pattern of it. Upwards. Yes. That's how the curve would have been like ( if it ever existed !) if we had a relationship between time (on the x-axis) and number of unemployment (on the y-axis) during a financial crisis. 

Expected graduate vacancies to decline by more than 5%
with Banking and Financial Services to decline by more than 10%
and worst of all Investment Banking and Fund Managers by close to 30% 

I guess then that this would only mean an expected increase in revenue for those business schools and post graduate courses in many academia, because I am also one of the many who might be one amongst the thousands and millions that would start contributing to that expected revenue. Yes, it is in one of my list-of-options, to look into furthering my studies upon graduation. With, a SIXTY freaking PERCENT of increase in applications in the MSc courses (Mind you, this is JUST for Cass Business School), I sure will have a lot of competition with what seem like the rest of the world! ( faints ). Did I mention 60? Haiyo...I need some air, too crowded...thanks.

Haha...who are we kidding? 
Why further your studies? Haven't you been studying since you were born? Of course the main reason would be, (well acknowledging that I am only 21 and I, of course still have the time to take the challenge and gain knowledge a step further and not tempted to do Masters just because), when asked would be as simple as "I've graduated and cannot find a job." Well it is true! Especially now! Recession, unemployment,etc., but not the answer that would impress? Or so I heard. One said that you should do it only if it makes you more employable because if furthering your studies is not going to give you more skills, then why do it? Ditto! and then I asked myself, should you further your studies, wouldn't you have gain more knowledge and have a better and in depth understanding in what you're studying. Hence, when you are able to apply what you learn, you are more skillful? D-uh. Tak ke? 

Assertions. Everything is debatable in this world...and then comes democracy. Everyone's entitled to argue their opinions. The best policy? It always ends up to be a "smudged painting", to me. haha...you gauge it yourself. 

So to do or not to do? A politically correct answer would be "It depends". hahaha! This is what we are taught here in Queen Mary. I used to think that my lecturers were playing tricks on us but then, I started to believe them. In economics, everything, depends. As it is, if you could assume this and that in your final exams economics paper, there's obviously many answers to one question. No?

So, until I :-
  • know my direction and how to progress upon ( InsyaAllah ), earning that BSc Economics, Mathematics and Statistics in countable months away
  • am able to answer "Why do I want to do MSc?" and not just cling on the hope that a further higher certificate of education will me to do something new without having any real plans ( since IT IS risky out there in the current market now, no doubt bout that alright ); and
  • really understand what employers want and where opportunities would be plentiful
would my answer then not be "It depends" any more. I just hope I won't be idle. AT ALL. or at least idle for too long upon graduation. For now, it's all about my final hurdle. My final exams.

1 comment:

als said...

Sayangku,
All the worries! Ahmagad!
Scary to read you in this tone. Where's Disneyyy? >,<

If I have learnt a thing or two, that is not to worry about the future until we forget to focus on the present. Masters or no Masters, whether it gives added value to your yourself should you find it a challenge later, we won't know.

"It is not sensible for anybody to pretend that we can forecast the future. Forecasting can never be an exercise which gets it exactly right" Mervyn King, governor of the BOE.

I am sure of one thing though, for knowing you thus far, you won't be left idle. Worst come to worst, go back home and work. You also have a place to fall back to. Don't worry ok?

Now's let's finish this race with style yo! xx