Sunday 6 September 2009

Young Corporate Malaysians (YCM)

I joined this association, YCM, following my membership in the committee of the United Kingdom and Eire Council for Malaysian students in the UK (UKEC). Similar to the UKEC, YCM operates here in Malaysia instead of the UK and today I was reminded by our struggle, sweat, threats and tears when working towards building the first ever event of it's kind, the First Annual Malaysian Student Leaders Summit 2007 (MSLS). It had to be an event that was filled with so many debates, discussion and cases for us to fight for.

Appointed as Director together with Alia Sidek, of such events, the first of it's kind on such a big scale wasn't an easy task. We lost hope along the way, we fell, we cried, and we nearly gave in. We lost our family time, social time with friends and created hates between friends for we no longer had much time with the outside world except this event. This council. We nearly gave in. But we realized, that that will NEVER happen as we had an amazing, strong and we-have-each-other's-back-always team led by a very knowledgeable and humble leader, Wan Mohd Firdaus. Strong, supportive and always positive. Alas, we made it through. We won the case. We fought through the threats and we achieved our target sponsorship and speakers.

Along the way, I learnt many valuable things. Priceless. Something that money can never ever buy. The experience and exposure. Skills and knowledge I never imagined I'd acquire before this. Things I never thought a student could go through. Something I thought only working people will be able to understand and no 18 year old would (as I was 18 when I first joined the UKEC, 1st year of University). the things I could doubt myself before I threw myself into the life of student councils and societies. A society, a student council that I was nominated as chairman come my final year in University. I was honoured, but I had to decide. And I decided otherwise, as my degree was more important. I agreed to sign off as 'National communication and liaision officer' instead of 'Chairman of the UKEC'.

Now that I'm back in Malaysia for good, I will continue to serve, and sign off emails like I used to. With, "Yang berkhidmat untuk Negara dan UKEC". But this time, more related to the Young Corporate Malaysians (YCM).

For now, I'm up and very motivated to hear out the new ideas, see what's cooking and to see what's laid on the table in today's YCM meeting! :)

No comments: