Saturday 30 October 2010

Etiquette

Etiquette and attitude are the two things that are so significantly important. Regardless of where you are. When eating, when at work, when talking to people, when driving. Everything involves good attitude and etiquette. That's professionalism. These, to me are the two key factors that would differentiate you from others.

Unfortunately, we don't have that in Malaysia. What I often see and witness - We swear when things don't go the way we want it to be. We try to bring others down when they're rising - just because you can't see others being better than you, when evidently you're not doing anything to earn it anyway. We think things come for free. We want to be acknowledged EVEN when we do nothing (read: 80% doesn't count. You want to do something, do it wholeheartedly and fully). When you're on top, you look down and order those below - power abuse or even power struggle. It happens a lot.

I still live in a fairytale world where I think everyone is nice. I guess as time passes by, I need to learn to accept the fact that it's otherwise. I'm one with the highest tolerance level amongst many, but when I really think it's done wrongly, I tell. Directly. Whether or not you're older than I am or even more senior than I am. Professionally. No raising of voice and no usage of crude words :) I'm blessed for I have an excellent team at work, and bosses who remind me to often handle matters professionally and with maturity :) No wonder I love going to work! I may be the youngest in the office, but definitely not treated like a kanak kanak ribena, but instead with the highest respect. Alhamdulillah :)

However, sadly, I guess this doesn't take place everywhere. I recently witnessed a situation when one is put under significant pressure and the way they handle it is just wrong. Sad. You tend to say things you'll regret later, or you'll end up hurting someone else when it's not life's biggest problem afterall and you fail to realize that you brush off the other person quite rudely. Man, I was shocked that our Malaysians can carry themselves THIS bad! I'm a proud Malaysian, and I lose respect for these kinda people. It really doesn't take much for you to have good attitude really :) Till today I am still shocked and how shallow one can be when it's power struggle + ego + doesn't understand the real meaning of respect + things don't go their way that one short time.

If we aspire to be the "best in the world" country, I guess it has to come from within first. That's us, ourselves :)

One thing's for sure, people around you play a big part too. The power of influence. 

No comments: