Saturday 27 November 2010

Disneyland

As a little girl, one will never forget her first encounter with a Disney Princess. Even long after they're all grown up, they would continue to pass along their love for these so-called-heroins-in-the-little-girl's-eyes, to their own sibling or even friends. Don't believe me? Try it! I bet not even one would not be able to answer :)

Let's see, at first glance, who could actually name all these 8 most significant Princesses that make up Walt Disney's most talk about 'Disney Princess', in less than a minute? and how many have you watched? How many times?
If you're a hardcore Disney fan, you'd probably already figured out by now that they all feature the same plot attributes - Fairytales, Fantasy, Romance, Royalty and Transformation. *Yawns* It amazes me how it is still able to attract large audience's attention though! Even their character traits run on a parallel basis - Grace, kindness, loyalty, modesty, inner and outer beauty, honesty and fairness which make them appealing and define them as beloved role models. If you're not a hardcore fan, well at least you'd still know that it's always a "happily ever after" ending.

I used to be one of those uncontrollable Disney fanatic that if you gave me a Disney music to listen to or a Disney movie to watch, I'd be so motivated, it's beyond acceptable! My parents never understood it and they always tried to figure out where things went wrong when my mum had me. Hmmph... To say that they watched cartoons when my mum was pregnant, they were too busy being workaholics. Nahhh.

I personally think that it's not childish nor wrong to love Disney. Unfortunately, this only happen to (majority) the female species. Guys would often think "ewwww, (Disney Princess) that's just so girlish and (Disney in general) they're for kids. I love transformers. It's way cooler!" or "gosh, all they do is sing! I might as well go and watch a musical". FYI, Little Mermaid won awards for Best Scores and Best Song. Beat that! Or in general, they just feel awkward having been associated with Disney.


What many fail to realize is the real beauty of each and every one of the movies - the positive key points and/or moral values that are packaged into each specific movie. Even when they sing those songs, they're not just songs. Listen to them carefully and you'll understand how it is related to the story and it's plot. It might just have an advice or two between the lyrics.

Belle. Ariel. Jasmine. Chances are, you know all these names. From Snow White in 1937 to Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty that became girls' favourite Princesses between 1950-1959. Then came Ariel from Little Mermaid a year after I was born and it moved on to Belle from Beauty and the Beast in 1991. Jasmine, Pocahontas and Mulan followed soon after. All with the same plots, same characteristics.

More than 10 years down the line, BOOM! The Disney royal court unveiled it's first black princess, different from the rest, oh Tiana. The Princess and the Frog was a contemporary fairytale, it was more relatable as compared to a mermaid under the sea. However, it was no less enchanting. I was honoured to be invited to watch the premiere with lil miss best friend although not long after, she suffered the 'Alia's high on Disney, she won't stop talking and smiling' fever. Poor girl. She must have hated me for that few hours :P hehe...


Same goes for last night, when Aiman got Sya and I tickets to watch Rapunzel, on the second day after it was released. Boy oh boy, I was so excited eversince office hours started that I was so determined to finish up my work to make sure I make it in time to watch it - every single minute including all the trailers before the movie, just in case I might miss a minute of it. So, through out dinner, nothing much actually went into my mouth but all that came out from my mouth was "OMG, I'm so excited to watch Rapunzel!". I wasn't even hungry. So I ended up watching the two siblings eat whilst they debated on how the original Rapunzel story was plotted. They had two different stories. haha!


Well one thing's for sure, the three of us came out of the movie happy! It was an awesome movie, hillariously funny, light heartedly plotted (and improvised mind you), greatly animated and makes up an excellent movie to end a stressful and hectic working week for us. We all agreed. Up to the point where Sya and I slept late looking for soundtracks (Aiman already in Disneyland dreamland by then) and we even woke up feeling happy this morning. Not silly-suddenly happy, but positively-satisfied-good-vibes happy.


I know some Princesses don't really make the cut, but they're just equally awesome. MUST watch Tinker Bell and Giselle from Enchanted! :) The songs in there would probably supply you a week of positive vibes and motivation, I swear.

Ok, actually, I cannot really justify my last statement there, but you get what I mean. Just go watch it already ok? You'll understand what I mean afterwards. For the record, I've watched all of them. Each one of them more than crazy-numbers-that-shall-not-be-mentioned times. Except for Rapunzel. I think I might just watch it again to start keeping on track with the others that I've watched :P

Disney Princess has now come to a new level with 10 Princesses! 

Ok, now I sound like a 10 year old little girl. *Picks up the Business Magazine to reverse the effect* 

No comments: