Friday 31 December 2010

The day I'm ready to let go

I'm blogging this as I pack my things up in the office and after I got off the phone with lil miss bestie, Shura and her brothers, Zariq and Zafir! I swear if I could get into the phone, I would have. Just to give her the biggest hug. Tomorrow is the new year btw. But right now, on this very last day of 2010,

Meeting with our Shariah scholars from Middle east - DONE
Speak to Shura as soon as she lands in Malaysia - DONE

I know everyone was all excited about the holiday today, and I think we have our football team to thank. They've definitely given us a good gift to welcome the new year indeed! :) Well, whilst others were on holiday, we had to work. Not because we're losers like that, but because we've made a promise. A promise to meet our Shariah scholars who flew down from the Middle East.

Having graduated from my training programme not too long ago, this was my first time meeting the Shariah scholars, and we had one quite complicated a paper to present to them for their review and approval. So, as much as I was happy that we got the unexpected leave, I was EVEN MORE excited to go to work on the last day of 2010 - to get to know these scholars and be in a meeting with them. Something you can never buy with money - experience.

The day my colleagues did not recognize their own team mate. Well, I have to dress appropriately! :) 

Well at first I did get a lil nervous earlier in the morning, seeing them make their way into the meeting room (without even looking right or left), dressed in full length long white garment with long sleeves (aka thawb), complete with the head wear, called ghutra. The red and white ones are called shemagh btw - plus I'm new and did not know what to expect, and it's Shariah. You don't know man. Anything can happen. What you're proposing may just not be in accordance to Shariah. Or perhaps it's acceptable but they would want you to strongly justify your points. Not to mention the fact that they at times would jump into their own world and converse in Arabic language and that would leave us a little lost thinking "Huh? What did they just say? Did we just open up the gates to hell with out proposal?" haha! Ok la, not so harsh la. I was just giving an example :)

I got used to the atmosphere along the way, and these scholars are impressive! They're no bankers, but the way they tackle the issue and question you, you'd better well make sure it's in accordance to Shariah, or don't even go close to stepping foot into that meeting room! It's nothing to joke about, seriously. At this point, it opens up my mind to understand things from their perspective, and subsequently pushes me to understand my religion at a higher level.

This whole week has been hectic for me. Meetings with our Indonesian counterparts, our Shariah scholars from middle east, the unexpected leave that left Bankers in a rush-mode because technically, end of the year was yesterday since market is not open today, so that was a 2 crazy days of work packaged into 1 yesterday. Schedules for my professional qualification exams 2011 is finally published, classes schedule that seemed to clash with my work trips. My work scope that has been stretched and projects that I will be thrown into come next year, bigger portfolio and responsibilities and a new proposal that I was honoured to take on. It's C.R.A.Z.Y!

I became a little scared to end this year and go through next year at one point. Yesterday, I found myself walking up and down the aisle at work feeling stressed! When this happens, I have colleagues who would just know the right thing to say/do. We'll end up either gymming and destressing or grabbing dinner and catching a movie whilst destressing.

One thing's for sure, everytime I think about it, I'm THANKFUL. I have an amazing team at work, I have excellent teammates who never fails to answer and teach me, even if I asked them the stupidest question. Their patience level when things get a lil too much and the most important thing is they understand me the most to be able to make me happy! I'm thankful I'm stuck with them :) There is never a day when I don't feel thankful that I am in a team with them.

For now, whilst I'm done with work on this 31st December 2010, the carpark in the office is still full with cars! Like I said, the unexpected leave that we got was so uncalled for that we all volunteered to work today to make sure we clear everything before the new year. I'm proud of the people in the firm.

For that, I'm happy my 2010 has been as such and I'm thankful I've gained a lot! Have a good new year everyone :)

Today has definitely turn out to be a good way to end my 2010. The scholars made it better by telling us "It's a genius idea!" this paper. I'm ready to welcome 2011 now.


This post will go up at about 11.59pm, 31 December 2010

No comments: