Wednesday 21 December 2011

Si Putih & The 7 Makciks - Malaysianising Snow White!

The queen asked:
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who in this land is fairest of all?

As far as I remember, any little girl who watches Snow White would end up uttering these words for a while, dreaming that the mirror would one day reply “You my princess”. A hardcore Disney fan (though I may not be able to answer every million and one Disney trivia), I just love Disney fairy tales! They’re always happy, and they definitely always-never-ever-fail to have a beautiful happily-ever-after endings which would leave me all tingly and happy inside! Almost as happy as walking on cloud nine :)

Snow White, pursued by a jealous queen, hides with the Dwarfs only to have the queen taking matters into her own hands after 3 failed attempts and feeds her a poison apple. She wasn’t breathing. She was dead. Magically, Prince Charming awakens her with a kiss. And then they lived happily ever after. Simple much? Disney 110%, duh!

Something about fairy tales is that, it’s unbelievable, but it is so desirable. Every girl wants to find her own Prince charming one day and have a fairy tale wedding, come on, right? In my attempt to do so, I’ve started dressing like one :P

Yellow bottom, blue top!

Well, that aside, believe it or not?! A Malaysian version of Snow White is HERE IN KL!! 
YES, I AM NOT KIDDING! From 14 December till the 23rd of December, The Actors Studio Teater Rakyat will be staging Si Putih and The 7 Makciks! 

Mak Bossy, Mak Giggles, Mak Dull, Mak Snoozy, Mak Misery, Mak Shy and Mak Style
7 right? Yes, 7! - a pantomime by Sham Sunder Binwani! If you don't know Sham, he's THE official mascot for "Mr Potato" crispy chips!!!
Sham does not settle for only one role — he writes the play, he directs it and he carries the title role, Si Putih.

Similar to Snow White, Si Putih & the 7 Makciks is set in two kampung kingdoms where an envious Queen plans to kill her beautiful and fair step daughter, Si Putih. But does Sergeant Sutera, the queen’s henchmen kill Si Putih or is she saved by the 7 Makciks, keepers of secrets from another kampong? Only time will tell. Si Putih & the 7 Makciks is a funny original adaptation of the all-time favourite classic with singing and dancing with a twist at the end; as all fairy tales have. The hardest in this production has got to be the fact that the casts had to control themselves from bursting into laughter when reading the script or doing the scenes in the play. Too funny I tell you! I had a good time laughing my tears out tonight!! I was laughing non stop!

I had the privilege of being invited to watch it tonight and I must say, IT WAS FANTASTIC! It makes me feel so proud that performing arts in Malaysia is picking up so very well. Having been in a musical production myself, I know that these cast have been working so hard and I must say, they were HILARIOUS, FUN and definitely CRAZY! Of course no fairy tale is complete without a happily ever after, huh? ;)


A must watch, I’d recommend you to go! Click here for more details!


Si Putih after being poisoned. Just waiting for the moment when Prince Charming arrives!
Third from left: Sirfan S Sulaimi as Mak Bossy
This Silver award winner at the recent Singapore Youth Festival 2011 was definitely one of the prominent star tonight! A Singapore actor/entertainer for over 15 years, he is now in KL to learn more about the performing arts here!

Well done to the whole cast for Si Putih & the 7 Makciks!

No comments: