Sunday 17 June 2012

A step forward

Mandarin!!! 
Yes! I just got an email from the company telling me that my Tuesday nights are taken for the next crazy-many weeks to come all dedicated to polishing up my Mandarin. They were talking about the Chinese economy and how important it is for me to be able to converse to these chinese investors in order to bring in more business. Indeed, it's true when they say you bring in more business when you can adapt to local environment and speak their language, and in their manner. But every Tuesday nighttttt? ......oh well, since they're paying, I guess I'm ok to sacrifice my time. Mandarin classes oh yay! *yawns*

When I was younger I used to have a chinese coach from China to train me as a gymnast. In gymnastics where majority of the athletes are chinese, I was sort-of forced to pick up mandarin words. Of course at that time I was like "whattttt?! I'm malayyyyy" and someone often had to be a translator between the coach and I, so much so that a scolding, once tranlated to me doesn't have the exact impact anymore :p

At a very young age of course you'd never fully understand the importance of being able to speak more than one language. Not until the age of 9 when I went for Umrah the first time and I was the only one who understood the very basic spoken language and writing. Thank god for sekolah agama!

Whilst based in Vietnam with some of my colleagues the past few days, I learnt that they have 5 different ways of saying a letter! Geeez.... It was fun learning it no doubt, but it was tough!! So susah, I decided to stick to sign languages. Lucky for us we had our local Vietnamese counterparts!

Omg...as I write this, my iPad buttons just became....malay. The ENTER button says KEMBALI. A sign I should stop babbling now. Boarding to Malaysia in 15 and straight to Vivy's bridal shower! Whooooopeee! Well....right now she thinks I am not flying back for her.

The very-tired-dowwan-to-do-anything-anymore banker who just wants to be based back in KL. I'm coming home :)

No comments: