Wednesday 1 August 2012

#CountdownToUni - Visa Application


The photo in my passport today did not match my face it seems. I had a little problem entering because the security was not too convinced that it is I, Alia Ishak, in that passport. Afterwards, they thought I was chinese, so having stated Malay in my passport did not really match with their first-look-at-me. Best of all, everyone I met and made friends with thought I was applying for a Visa to pursue my undergraduate in the UK. "Erm...no. That was me 6 years ago, but I'll take that as a compliment, thank you :)". Oh well.

I thought it won't be too busy to apply for a UK Visa now since the A Levels results is still about 2 weeks away, but boy was I wrong. At 11 am, so many people came flocking by the HighCom at Wisma MCA. Good thing I came early. Point to note, application for UK Visa now is pretty similar to the US Visa in the sense where you've got to make an appointment online before you can make your way to the HighCom.

Some other points to take note of:

  1. Book for an early appointment - Seems to me like everyone schedules their appointment for 11 am onwards. Either they don't plan to hassle through morning traffics to KL, or just plain lazy to wake up early. In my case, I got quite a nice slot at 10.30. Not too many people, and assistance was ample. 
  2. Documents in order - As long as you follow all the instructions given on the website, you're pretty safe to go. In my case, I was applying for a Masters course, so the VAF 9 form was to be completed online, and appendix 8 (Tier 4 general student) to be attached in hard copy. The rest are just all your academic certificates and funding evidence.
  3. Photo - DO NOT WEAR CONTACT LENSES when you take your photo. It will be rejected! I only got to know when I submitted my form over the counter. Rejected. So I had to pay an extra RM 25 for an instant one done at their office. Oh the struggle of taking off my lenses and not being able to see things clearly. Even when you to do the office, avoid wearing them lenses, they will get you to take it off when doing the biometric scan.
  4. Payment - Needs to be in a Bank Draft. They do not accept cash nor credit cards. Most importantly, if you do not have a Bank Draft and you are not a Customer of Citibank, that Citibank at Intercontinental Hotel will not be able to provide you with one (what?! Why?!).  Well, Maybank is just opposite the road at Ampang Park.
  5. Others - Other than that, they were very very helpful with the whole process :)
Hello August, I'm excited! Not.

1 comment:

yours truly,L.S said...

Alia!!! Blog la pasal ur further uni n master whatsnot...course apa,alia?