Wednesday 24 April 2013

A girl's dream - Step 1

I remember that exact weekend when I started this

I spent my nights talking to my (current) bosses about my intentions and cleaning up my CV and exploring for opportunities. They thought I was pretty crazy not to like studying but preferred working, but they were of course very encouraging! I love working ok! haha!

Well, it was not just any opportunities though, but for opportunities that would want to take me as an intern. Reporting to what I used to think is any graduates'dream - a boss from on of the Big Banks on you see on Wall Street. A girl can dream can't she :)

It became quite a challenge halfway, because:
  1. I wanted to get back into the working life earlier than scheduled (I did not mind being an intern)
  2. Before I graduate and leave the UK, I wanted to make full use of my time here, having explored opportunities to work here before going back to KL. I mean I see my friends complaining having to work long hours but hey! At least you've given it a try, that's a happy (stressful) achievement, don't you agree :):):):)
  3. Under the Business School regulations, I am still a student under the signed contract with Imperial, and I am also bounded by the regulations in my scholarship agreement. Hence I've got to play the cards right. Wouldn't want to be kicked out of Uni nor fired just because I was applying for jobs earlier than I graduate
  4. As a student in the UK, my student Visa only allows for me to work a maximum of 20 hours a week (Whoa! Which financial institution would take me?!). Again, I'm restricted. Visa issues in the UK is very darn strict, so I had to be very very careful not to mis look the rules and regulations
Well basically, these things will only pop up when you start exploring. Not really big obstacles if you follow the rules I must say. I mean if at the end of the day the rules says No, it just means that you've got to find other alternatives :)

It was a very very exciting thing to be doing indeed! Or was it just because I was in the midst of my exams? During exams, anything and everything else is always more interesting anyway :P

No comments: