Wednesday 4 September 2013

Pondering away

When I was little, I clearly remembered telling every parent/mum and dad's friends that when I grow up, I want to be a scientist. Why? Because I wanted to fly to the moon. BAHAHA! I bet they were all just being nice not to laugh at me at that time. Got to pat this lil girl on the back for having such ambitious dreams huh.

And then I graduated in 2009 and laughed at myself. I'm so gonna train my kids in the future to answer "Doctor" when my friends ask them. In fact instead of "Mummy" or "Daddy", thier first word would be "Doctor".

When I stepped out of uni, I had no idea what I wanted to do! Oil and Gas? Banking? Corporate Comm? Who would want to hire a Maths graduate? I specialize in nothing! I could play with a couple of numbers but I cannot 'read' for nuts. Lol. Financial markets were doing bad at that time and I recalled every other ambitious friends of mine who wanted to join the Banking world used the line "I want to join because it's only THE best time to be learning a lot".

I wondered how could we join the Banking world when so many people are being fired. And how is that a chance to learn a lot when everyone's working their butt off (and has no time to teach I'm sure) to make sure they're not the next one to be released from the company? I heard it used to scare the hell out of any Bankers in Europe when their phone rings. They could be fired any second, or so I was told. Harsh.

As we watch another wave of market volatility from afar, you wonder what market will look like in a couple of weeks, months, years. Had a catch up with a colleague (and cake!!!) over lunch and we agreed that it's only certain parts of the Bank that is exposed to this sort of environment, not the entire Bank. Ultimately, in a high-risk-high-reward environment most of the time.


No comments: