Friday 6 September 2013

Culture

Fridays. They're a reminder to why I love it working here in London.

Don't get me wrong, I love home. I love Malaysia and I will definitely pack up and go home to serve the country in whatever way I can. As it is, I'm working for a Malaysian Bank, so I definitely did not 'leave' the country entirely.

After 2 months of working, I've somehow managed to find a few significant differences between work forces in Malaysia and here in London:
  1. The way you dress or what you drive probably signals how much you earn back at home. Differently over here, majority of the population get to work by train and some even wear snickers with a back pack to work. You can even find a CEO cycling to work! Practical they say. I wear a back pack in KL and everyone tease me about being this no-sense-of-fashion-school-girl lookalike.  
  2. In Malaysia, there seem to be more 'break times' than here. Differently though however, they are cheerful and often you'll see them having 'break times' together whilst doing work.
  3. They come in so much earlier over here with no complains. My boss wakes up at 4.43am everyday to catch a 5.08am train to work. Additional plus point here is that, we don't get stuck in friday night traffic jams. It's easier to plan that dinner with your loved ones and be there on time
  4. FAMILY TIME is crazy important over here! Weekends, you'd see them planning a family getaway and what I love most is that the culture here is no matter how busy you are, if you've got kids at home, they'd make sure to be home to spend some time with the children before putting them to sleep.
  5. Over here, you are in charge of your time. All bogs down to honesty; how long a lunch break you're gonna take and plan around your time to be able to cover for your fellow acolleague if they're out. In my nature of work, the trading floor cannot be empty at any one time.
Technically, I do not speak for every industry and job available here, but one thing I know is I'm gonna miss all these that I am experiencing when I go home, I'm so sure of it.

Well that said, weekend is here! :)

No comments: