Monday 9 December 2013

Next Station, Kuala Lumpur. Mind the gap between the train and the platform

His birthday is not until the next weekend, but I thought I'd have to compete with the rest of the world to wish him on the real day itself so I decided to surprise him a weekend early. Plus, if I do it now, people will start wishing him and he could technically have a week of celebration. Aiman and a surprise in a box, that can never go wrong.

So a month earlier, I was trying to figure out how to do the design on his cake. I thought since we're in a LDR, why not just get him excited about the idea of the day we don't have to go through LDR anymore....and since I'm working at the moment and won't be able to celebrate it with him this year. Last year was easier as I was schooling and mama and daddy secretly wanted me home, so I could fly home to surprise him (surprise failed). Also, I was planning to escape the cold in London too. Bahaha!

I've always had my cake orders done by Asma' (www.gateauxlicious.com) so she's used to me coming up with funny designs for Aiman's birthday cakes. She's simply an amazing baker, it's out of this world!! I tell you, you should order a cake with her and you will never turn back! Previously she has baked for me a Polo Shirt and a Captain America. So I found myself doodling in my little book an airport runaway with a Malaysia Airlines airplane before I thought to myself that it looked more like a cake for me rather than him. Cancel. A finishing line and a track. Nah. Cancel.

Wait. I'm here in London, he's there in KL. I travel on the underground everyday, everywhere. KL Underground and a Malaysia Airline boarding pass. Yes. Maybe.

And then came the flavour. Aiman is such a coffee lover, but I thought a coffee cake is pushing it a little too much, sounds like such an adult cake. So I decided on a mocha cake. Moist chocolate cake layered with a light coffee butter cream. Yes, sorted.

On delivery day, epic success. Aiman's mum waited for the cake on my behalf and messaged me right away when the cake arrived - I have asked for it to be placed in his room before he gets home. When Aiman got home and opened it, he was left confused. He called me early in the morning (London time), and his first question was

"Wait, why are you awake so early?!" ...so now I cannot wake up early on a weekend?
"Are you secretly downstairs? Are you back in KL? Are you hiding outside?"...he's impatient like that

..."yeah, I wished, but I'm working on Monday".

The cake turned out superb in the end! It was both pretty AND deli-yummy-licious! Thank you team gateauxlicious, you've made a girl in London happy and a boy in KL even happier! :)





Photos by: Asma' Nasaruddin

No comments: