Sunday 20 May 2018

The Surgery (Part 2)

"Alia? Alia? Can you hear me?' the nurse directly next to me asked whilst tapping me

"I think she's awake"

I saw my Doctor walking towards me to tap me and said the same "Alia? Can you hear me"

I heard all these, but its all a blur. I only remembered the nurse and doctor in blue asking if I can hear them.

Probably went back to sleep after, because the next time I realised was three nurses saying "Alia are you ok? We're going to shift you on another bed ok?"

I think at that time whilst they were moving me, I was thinking it's done, we've cleared the baby out, I was icy cold freezing, I remembered saying "I'm cold" and a heater was placed underneath my blanket, I had 4 blankets on me and..... I was cryinggggg but I did not feel any pain at all. Like it suddenly just came, those tears never behave do they! The nurse kept saying "Eh don't cry, it's ok. Everything's done, we'll take you upstairs ok?". Sighhhh these nurses just make me wanna hug them for being so compassionate and kind.

I remembered seeing Aiman, again everything was a blur but I have a feeling I went back to sleep after or I was in a daze.

I fully woke up at nearly 3pm, and heyyy I was back to being myself. Haha! I looked at Aiman and said "Heyyyyy I survived yayyyy it wasn't so bad after all! Where's Vivy? Is it me or is it cold in here?".

He just looked at me and said "Vivy went to fetch Daniel and Mariam from school sekejap but Fadza's coming later. Ermmm you have 5 blankets on you now, you're still cold?"

Hahaha! Can you tell, I must have been a different person before this, drugged and all.

So here's the real thing, Aiman told me that when the nurses wheeled me back into the room, I was crying my eyeballs out and kept asking for my Doctor. I was apparently icy cold and continuously shivering that when the Nurses tried to take pressure, she couldn't get any reading....twice. And all I kept saying was "I'm cold" and "Where's my Doctor?". Haha kesian Aiman, he was so worried that he asked the Nurses if I'm alive conscious fully or not? They said to give it time for the GA to wear off, and that once I wake up, I would need to eat, and pee and I might even throw up before the Doctor clears me. If I don't then she'll put me back on drip to assist with fluid internally. I also apparently told him to let me listen to songs, which explains why the ipods are playing my playlist when I woke up.

Before I knew it, Fadza has brought all my colleagues over to the hospital to come and visit me and brought cakes along. Well, I was told that before pantang starts I could cheat a little, plus who says no to Kek & Co bakes! And hey, I was told that one of the things I need to do was to eat, before I can get discharged. Well, them? Waiting for my drugs to wear off be like.... whennnnn?

Long story short, I was definitely anxious prior to surgery but given that I had an amazing set of people around me, it all went by so quickly and without much pain at all, Alhamdulillah!! Aiman and I figured that God was just letting me taste what Hospital felt like, how GA was like and what Operating Theaters looked like - with an added bonus of having the greatest set of people around me to go through it all with me, the Doctors, Nurses, Family and Friends.

The best feeling was waking up the next day being able to eat chicken all over again without having to run to the toilet to throw up. All day sickness is real guys!

My advice is if you're scared like me, it's OK to ask the Doctors a million and one questions, it's OK to only choose who you want to be around with during the tough period, it's OK to feel sad even if people come to you and say "I've been through it, you'll get over it" or "been there, done that". At the end of the day, you're the one going through it and you want to go through it your way :))

...just yeah, say Thank You and Sorry to your Doctors and Nurses when everything's done, because you know what, you really don't know how difficult (or not) you may have been throughout the entire procedure when under drugs hahaha! I felt so thankful that I had them and of course all my Doctors and Nurses got Fluffed with cookies and cupcakes after :P

No comments: