Thursday 17 April 2008

Motivation - The normal way =)

"All my life, there wasn't just me and my dreams",
and that is not something out of the norm. Every normal person goes through that phase and more often than not, majority out of the whole turns out to be for the better =)

but then...come those very rare nights when you just think of where you currently are.Was it the same picture in the little mind few years back? To be in the UK now and graduating soon ( InsyaAllah ) and then those career paths you will soon start exploring. To want to be a successful economist, to the well demanded actuarist...engineers, lawyers, CEOs and Partners.
Those are the norms...

What happens if it was a different picture altogether few years back, a dream to be something else? Something, well...let's just say is not demanded well in the world of the successful graduates. To be something that people don't find any interesting points to touch on when speaking/pondering about it but most of the time about the fact that"it is not demanded at all. Period" nor do they take you seriously at times. More like "Haha...are you serious?" and that's bout it. The conversation dies...and just when motivation, inspiration and hope just starts building in you.

Then I thought, I might as well just do it on my own, but reality check. Dreams, you can chase, but most of the time not alone. You will need some help at some point. Apart from that, if it was going to involve a very VERY expensive risk...you think twice about it. and expensive here...I mean FAMILY. That's how much family matters. You don't get their support, you're gonna fail at some point. Well, at least for me.
Experience, gave me a taste of it all, when I fought for what I wanted to do...and it involved in me and my dad having the quarrel and silent treatment afterwards. Mum used to be the one to be able to pull things together, always and always. And as I worked hard towards my dream, it was all nice, sweet memories...but motivation just depletes, and the fact that I wasn't talking to my dad... One last International Tournament and after that I just decided to let it go. Let the decision haunt me badly after this, that was the last time I pushed for it and after that, I just decided to call it quits. It's all not worth the relationship with my family. At that moment in time, I'd rather build and chase a new more realistic ordinary dreams.

I should understand that I was already big enough to understand the importance of these all coz Dad was very supportive when I was younger, so supportive that he swallowed it all an supported me all the way during the biggest tournament in Malaysia and even said "This is for the team. you cannot quit now. Studies...? it's alright this time, battle this out first and we'll think bout it after ". Small Alia wanted to quit and dad came to the rescue. Big Alia has fallen in love with performing arts...obviously dad had to knock some sense in me. Scholarship was right there in front of me, why push it away! Education is the next way up! So to the scholarship I gave in. Dreams crushed but new dreams were built.

This is something OUT of the norm....until I saw someone else in my very identical situation yesterday. In her case, it was a different ending to her story, she worked, pushed for it, declined the scholarship offer, declined the Harvard University entry offer, sweat, cried, pursued her dreams...and became a Champion Skater! No, I don't plan to be a skater, but I'd love to be a dancer. and eventually a champion skater? Why not! :) To feel the pressure and work towards being a champion! Performing arts...to be able to dance and perform. Dance and move freely across the floor. To do something with all my heart and have so much passion in something I do that I don't need much effort to even think bout how difficult it is. That, was the picture in my head years ago but I was able to slowly erase it away from my memory today, maybe not entirely. Hey, it was a big dream...I'll expect it to be erased fully maybe when...actually I don't know. hahaha :)



Well, that was a different time period. Now I'm where I am and I am thankful for it. Thankful for what I am doing, what I have and where I am heading, the continuous (especially the family) support and all in the package =) Thankful that I am fortunate enough to experience both the 'academic world' and the 'no-education-just-training-and-competitions world'. Very fortunate indeed. So now, next up would be to handle all those 'academic' stress and battle out the final exams which is in a month's time! I can do this !! :D







As for,this summer, I am planning to try out something new. Something out of the norm all over again, but this time...in the 'academic world'.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww those pics are soooo nostalgic. That pic of u with the milo sign at the back...SUKMA 2002 in Kota Kinabalu.... where u had to battle a severely injured ankle to capture the Gold medal for Selangor. And that was just 2 months b4 PMR ! Cant imagine how u were able to do it cos no one in the stadium noticed (not even the judges) that u were limping to the performance carpet 'cept for ur coach n ur team mates. That was how determined u were to win the gold medal for ur team and Selangor and u did it in style!!

fajiL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fajiL said...

whoa this post is so cool! =)

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
So this how it feels reaching for heaven
Is this how it feels kissing the sky
This what it means touching forever
Like a phoenix rising from the flames
I'm reaching for heaven
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

=) =) =)

Anonymous said...

nice pictures..i like the one with the bar..alia tgk ice princess??..her stories r more the opposite of u..she been studying her whole life n then pursue other dream..u've been performing ur whole life n then vice versa..if u noticed la..but then again she can go to harvard anytime she wants..age doesnt matter when ur studying but age does matter when ur doing sports..tua2 pun mat saleh ade je sambung blaja..dorang tk kesah.. :D but good luck to u anyway... :D *wink *wink ~hanafedora

Anonymous said...

:D :D :D :D :D I see someone's so motivated :D :D :D :D :D

aliai: Why am I doing economics and not just be a dancer?
alias: sebab kita kene redha. setiap yg dah ditentukan tu.. diluar pengetahuan kita. buruk ke baik ke. mesti baik punye. hehe
*conversation from last night*

I nak watch ice princess gak ah cos if it motivates fazril and peter, it should motivates me too, yes? heh.

*opens youtube and type ice princess*

Alia Ishak said...

All DISNEY movies are motivating!! :) But Ice Princess gets the two thumbs up.

Anonym : Hmmm...Wonder who you are. You seem to know a lot there. A friend from high school or maybe athlete from another state?

Fazril : Hum hum...Someone kantoi tengok you tube tak mengaku! haha...Go watch it! It's superb :) I still watch it, I think dah 10 times since...a few years. hehe!

Hana : I was just comparing her sports part of the show Ms Owl. Burung Hantuuuu!!! hehe...

Alee : Gi habiskan the message dulu ler, and then maybe you can watch Enchanted too! :) Bejeweled jom!

anis daud said...

omg i'm so cool.

coz i have adik kecik super flexible.

and emo here and there, kejap tak motivated and 2secs after jadi motivated. and super motivated with chocolate. and yeah, flexible.

omg i'm so cool. coz i have adik kecik super flexible.

i can go on forever. btw, economist? apakah tersebut?

Alia Ishak said...

Hahaha....Are you sure you're cool to have an adik kecik who is so fickle with her emotions Kak Anis? hahahah =)

If you put Disney movie on screen and running 24/7, confirm my motivation level will stay up high! :D Topped up with chocolate bars! Yum yum. Btw, I'm guessing that an economist is someone who graduates with an economics degree, and that is as far as I can go. Nanti kalau dapat jadi dah economist betul, I will let you know what they really really do :)Maybe, the best person to ask, is your other half's daddy!! *grins*

Anonymous said...

Aww, comel nyer Alia... hahaha..

I know how you feel .... huhuu miss ice skating, miss dancing, miss performing.. miss competing..

Haihh.. but we have stories to tell our children and we have experience that no one can exchange with money.

Hmmmm.. jom skating lps exam!!!

Alia Ishak said...

Skating it is after exams!! =) You can teach me all those double axels and spins! You know well enough my left leg is lazzzzy after the skating with you! hahaha...Well, After you get some good, well deserved and enough rest k! After seeing your messages to me...hehe. Thanks Kak Sha! - your kecik -

anis daud said...

someone who graduated with a degree in architecture, working as one, and still doesn't know what it is..what do u call that!

whoa i'm such a tai-tai in training. and i'm so becoming one. whutever lah architect ke economist ke accountant ke..material engineer whatever that is ke..

i still want to be a tai-tai, and a tai-tai i will become. and yes i'm still cool.. and i'd -still- be cool.

see, i'm cool already.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe,
Without those dreams in your mind, there wouldn't be any reason for us to be here.

Without dreams humans would just stayed the same way as they were thousand of years ago. Living in darkness, using wooden/stone tools.

Isn't it ? heheheh

Anonymous said...

omg. no wonder when i saw the tagged pictures of firdaus in facebook, u seemed so familiar.

now i know where i recognized ur face. heh.