Sunday 23 August 2009

My first shift - I'm half awake now

"

Alia Ishak

's energy level to last the night, checked. iPod, checked. Masks, checked. Dinner, checked. Scrubs, checked. Hello Azwan, I'm your ward-mate for tonight. Please wake up and talk to me, InsyaAllah :)
"

Last night was my turn, my first shift to accompany you. I just got back. You still did not respond much Zwan. Sigh... I continued the salawats for you, kept rubbing your chest and giving it a little small tap coz you kept coughing out phlegm but never able to spit it out. Multiple times I told the nurses to use the suction, but they didn't have enough machines. Haih... but funny thing, your nose was always itchy and you hated me wearing the mask, so much so that I had to always take my mask out as you keep pulling it out ( and put it on back quickly when you start coughing ), and rub your nose for you.

Well, i think it's the wound on your forehead where you had the operation that is actually irritating you, but that just mean that it's healing :) Well done sayang! and oh, today the nurses taught me how to make the perfect combination for your milk dosage just in case you're still intubated when you are discharged in the future as you are still not able to have solid food. I know how to make your food and feed you now :) But one thing's for sure, when I see you sleep, at times I tend to feel sleepy!! Eeep. So, I had to continuously drink 100 plus.

You only seem to move your right side the most and because you're long and tall, you were so restless on the bed. Kept on bending and straightening your leg. I massaged it every 10 minutes but takut when I do that you'll get the 'pins and needles' feeling on it, so I lifted it a bit sometimes. The nurses on duty are really friendly, patiently teaching me new things everytime they come in which I'm always happy to learn about. Btw yang, we were checking out your urine which seemed to be a little concentrated today, probably coz you were on many medication and probably it's just UTI. Best part is, it doesn't seem to bother me even when I was having my buka, it was fine that the nurses were explaining about a patient's urine, how it's supposed to be when they are well and vice versa. Ok, I found myself weird too actually that I didn't feel like puking whilst eating! haha! Abang Raf got the-much-craved-for Subway for buka. At last!! Since last week we've been planning for it :) Yummy steak and cheese!

Anyway, Papa came to take over our night shift and afterwards he messaged me the sweetest message sangat and made me smile eventhough I was half awake and half asleep by then, your papa sure knows how to make me smile! Just like you :) I headed home and I need a shower now. I smell of Hospital and hospital sanitizer! Reminds me of you though. Be strong k Zwan. We won't stop praying for you. I'm going to try and get some few hours of sleep and I'll be back at the hospital before you know it :) I'll see you in a bit! Don't bully papa k. I love you! and thanks for the company tonight, I had fun being your ward-mate and learning a lot from the nurses tonight. Much love

No comments: