Thursday 23 September 2010

We Want Better Internship Experiences Just Like Those Abroad, YES?

I'm doing a research, and I'm humbly calling for all to take 2 minutes to fill in this survey. It will be very helpful. Thank you! :) (click here)

Many of my friends have finally come home this year, but definitely not all are prepared to work here, in Malaysia. It can either be because of the work structure, in terms of learning experience being minimal, difficult to climb up and even salary. Face it, how many would truly work for a company that will give MASSIVE exposure but pay MINIMAL? Only minority make up this 'species', admit it already.

Let's face it, it's all out there. You hear so much about the brain drain issue, the overseas grads who don't want to come back to Malaysia just because, those working hard to get a PR abroad and working their ass off trying to pass those tests just so that they could grab job opportunity abroad.

Seriously, I truly believe that some of these are also the people who look down on Malaysia's effort to be a better country, and to have a better future. I understand our country has it's set of flaws, so, I ask, if our own Rakyat don't come home to help the country, don't convey their ideas for the betterment of their own 'tanah tumpahnya darahku', instead complain and criticise the baby steps that Malaysia is putting to be better and improve it's position, then who else will? 


I truly understand when us, Gen-Y complain about internship experiences here in Malaysia - part of the reason being because some are just not structured, unlike those overseas. If you're an intern, you FEEL like an intern, if you're an intern you're not given big enough responsibility just because it's a waste of time for them to teach and the after 2 months you leave. Better still, I've heard of experiences where all the intern does is make coffee, filing and admin work.

Unlike those abroad - They rope you into a project, live deal. That's a big TRUST. When there's trust, interns feel the inclusiveness, hence more motivated and driven to capture that deal. They make you FEEL like a staff, a part of the company and a part of the team. Additionally, they do a serious review on your performance and consider employing you upon graduation with negotiation on salary fitted in! THAT'S WHAT WE NEED IN MALAYSIA! That's how we bring back our graduates from abroad!

AGREED? Well, I'm now calling all future leaders of Malaysia out there with my research, to comment and say your thoughts. I'd love to hear what your comments are :) It's really just a thought that maybe we can do better in this department and slowly change something for our future generation. Do check out this link and fill in this survey please. Check it out and it won't even take you a minute! 


I'm a graduate and have been working for the past 11 months. Fresh indeed and I LOVE IT thus far! :) I've had 2 internship experiences prior to graduating - at reputable companies and I've had no complains. I'm a big believer of priceless experience that cannot be bought with money so, even if my internships did not pay at all, I'd still volunteer and accept the offer!

Once at an event, Mama's friend came by to say Hello, and along the way asked mum where I'm working. So he then questioned, how come I did not stay overseas to work? Mama's reply was "This girl, patriotisme tinggi!". Hahaha! What a joke, I nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Thanks everyone! feel free to pen out your idea :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some internships abroad are poorly structured too! Its not necessarily that because its abroad means it will be better :) I think the internship structure is more company dependent than country dependent.

Filem Dua Tayar said...

Alia. True what Sunaina said. Abroad or not, there are great employers and those lousy opportunist employers. I heard from my friend in London; he worked for an artist who asked him to repair the artist's rooftop!! Thats from Londie! haha.

-Afin