Friday 18 March 2011

To have your wildest dreams come true


I remembered having to dance to the song ‘Listen’ from the movie Dreamgirls when I was younger, during one of my dance classes, and I fell in love with the song immediately! I was still stuck in the world of boarding schools those days, so I have not yet watched the movie before I even heard the song. So, you’d figure that I was pretty excited to look for it. Today, I sing Dreamgirls' songs at work that my colleagues got so used to my random singing habits!

"The time was in the 1960s, and singers Effie (Jennifer Hudson), Lorrell (Anika Noni Rose), and Deena (Beyoncé Knowles) are about to find out just what it's like to have their wildest dreams come true. Discovered at a local talent show by ambitious manager Curtis Taylor Jr. (Jamie Foxx), the trio known as "the Dreamettes" is soon offered the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of opening for popular singer James "Thunder" Early (Eddie Murphy). 

Subsequently molded into an unstoppable hit machine by Taylor and propelled into the spotlight as "the Dreams," the girls quickly find their bid for the big time taking priority over personal friendship as Taylor edges out the ultra-talented Effie so that the more beautiful Deena can become the face of the group. Now, as the crossover act continues to dominate the airwaves, the small-town girls with big-city dreams slowly begin to realize that the true cost of fame may be higher than any of them ever anticipated."

AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL

That’s how I felt about the movie, and I only wished I could do performing arts just like them. Competitive sports and Performing arts? They’re totally different in my opinion. One comes with more pressure than the other.

I clearly remembered that I used to dream about performing at Istana Budaya, really. Our very own and very first theatre in Asia that is equipped with state-of-the-art stage equipment. Istana Budaya is also rated among the ten most sophisticated theaters in the world, and on par with the Royal Albert Hall in London by the way. But that dream was far from being materialized. All because I did competitive sports. We only compete. We don’t perform on amazing platforms/stages. So as a little dancing girl/gymnast/ballerina, I can only dream.




But come this July 2011 (14th - 28th to be specific), little Alia's dream to perform at the RM210 million theater hall, with theater's floor area of 21,000 m²  as part of the 54,400²  cultural complex will COME TRUE! The day I step foot on Istana Budaya's stage will be one of the happiest days in my life! One of my personal, life's happiest achievements definitely!


The Palace of Culture. The venue for both national and international dance and cultural performances, Istana Budaya is at par with the Royal Albert Hall in London and is a sight to behold. Cats, Fame and The Merchant of Venice are just a sample of the great plays that have been performed at the Istana Budaya, the centre of the Malaysian Performing Arts scene. 


To add to my love for performing arts, I'm also a big fan of buildings and lights! I don't understand how people can't appreciate the simplest things sometimes. It is so pretty, sometimes I feel like I'm in my own world when I appreciate this simple beauty. Local architect Muhammad Kamar Ya’akub, a graduate of the University of Newcastle in Australia, designed it. He incorporated many Malay cultural symbols into the design of the building. Certainly a world-class theatre with an individual character. The elegant Istana Budaya is definitely something I’m very proud of. I am a proud Malaysian.


That’s not all. Having the opportunity to work alongside our very own local stars, artists / penyanyi tanah air (some who have made it internationally)just gives me the energy to make this the best experience I’ve ever had! I’ve been going over to WATCH them in action at Istana Budaya, and now I’m happy to be able to WORK with them! From watch, to work. What more can I ask for? Ecstatic! :):)

Btw…Our music scores have also arrived from New York city baby! Ahhhhhh!!! So that's an ALL-MALAYSIAN TALENT, performing an INTERNATIONAL Broadway! Whoopee to Malaysian talents :)

*on cloud nine*

Dreams do come true indeed, if you believe hard enough in it and definitely if you work for it. It’s like a fairytale. After a musical session, I will always have a happily-ever-after moment, it’s unexplainable!!!!!!

Watch this space. I might…(read: might) just have tickets for the show to give out!!

2 comments:

SS. said...

ooooh! cant wait cant wait! am excited and happy for you! :D

Alia Ishak said...

I'm excited myself!! :):):)