Tuesday 19 April 2011

I Am Inspired

Note: This post has been pushed up due to readers' demands :)
Warning: This is a very very very long post

Naturally as a person, I’m easily motivated and inspired. Previously I’ve mentioned on how music can make me feel very happy and subsequently feel motivated quite instantly. Magical! This time, from listening to a great leader.

Yesterday, I attended the Great Women at Work series hosted by Young Corporate Malaysians and this time, we had Natasha on board. The Managing Partner of Ethos & Co. She was nothing less than a great inspiration to all of us, especially so for every female working in the corporate world. She is one of the female leaders that has it all at her fingertips! From the likes of the corporate world to the greatest maternal instincts. She knows her priorities alright!

  • She mentioned that years ago, we used to compare ourselves with Singapore. But today, our base of comparison has moved to Vietnam. Scary indeed!
  • Then, the participation of women in the labour force is the lowest in South East Asia – 45.7%. Of which, only 13% of professionals and management, 12% of GLC Directors, 6% of corporate directors and 7% of CEOs of Bursa Top 100 companies.

One of the other key points she touched was that most top management women either are not married or they do not have kids. Now, I can truly relate to this. Where I work, the high flyers (Disclaimer: Not all) are either not married, or they are married but they have a relationship with their work instead of their husbands (yeah, they’re in the office most of hours of the day) or they end up getting married to someone in the firm. I clearly remembered the first week when I joined the Trainee programme, my trainer jokingly cautioned us to get to know our fellow trainees/senior trainees, colleagues and people in the bank. Reason being because, we might just end up with one of them coz they are about the only people you will see. Imagine the shock in everyone’s face! Of course I don’t deny that many have chosen their other half from the Bank too. But I choose to believe that that is because of the genuine law of attraction, and not because they have no option. Afterall, why wouldn’t you want to date an Investment Banker? I think they are awesome! ;) So, two investment bankers put together, HAH! You get a power couple. Good deal I’d say!

And then, she also mentioned that previously, when she joined Accenture and was there for 8 years might I add, the team would take about a year to complete a project that would take probably 3 months to complete today. Vast difference indeed, but she said that that only allowed her to follow through a complete project unlike today where we are too focused. What would need 3 in a team last time would probably have 10 today – 2 to handle clients, 2 to handle the structure, another 2 to vet, 2 to go through, 1 to approve, 1 sleeping member. Haha! Efficient much? I’m just giving an example la ok. Say it to today’s generation and they will definitely see it from a different angle. They’d probably conclude that “Hey! We just need 3 months la. You guys dulu dulu need one year. So tak efficient”. EGO.

She then moved on to quickly slip in some advice to the ladies in the room and that is to GET MARRIED EARLY and HAVE KIDS EARLY. Not to mention consecutively too, to achieve economies of scale. Why? Because then they’ll grow up together, in the same era, same generation of toys, same generation of cartoons. Senang mummy and daddy, anak anak can play together and live happily ever after. Tak la pening when mummy and daddy balik kerja nak melayan different wants and needs from each and everyone of the daughters and sons! Genius! Did everyone not get a shock again?! This time both the girls and guys in the room. For a moment there, the question “Haa, so bile nak kahwin” could be heard from all over the room. Haha!

Jokes aside, she also touched on the importance of having the discipline to reflect. Always know your priorities, have options in life and be prepared to walk away. In any relationship or work path. If we are able to do that, then we are definitely in a relationship/career path (that we have chosen) for the right reason. I concur! Hence why I have always believed that if you cannot carry the name of your chosen company well enough, you have the option to not work for them, so leave. And if you cannot stand being in the relationship, why fight? You'd always have the option to be out of it. It all bogs down to the choice that you make. There is no right or wrong in this world, you choose to do it because you think IT IS RIGHT for you.

Natasha has also emphasized that should you have problems, talk to the people whom you trust and who you know can make a difference. To have faith and to believe that things can only get better is a very powerful tool. For this, I can never thank Allah enough for giving me the best team at work. Really, the minute Natasha mentioned this, Siti caught me smiling so wide. I have always had the privilege of having the best superior, the best mentor, the best boss, the best team in the world. So understanding, so encouraging so willing to teach and so very caring. They’ve become more than just my colleagues, they’re like a family to me already.

Today, being the youngest in the team and trusted with excellent projects only increases my confidence and boost up my morale by the day, really! To me, a good team can only be defined by the ability for each and everyone of us to motivate the other. To give honest and constructive criticism and to be able to speak top-down and bottom-up on any concerns and issues. A satisfied, contented and motivated team is a productive team! And where it is a flat management, it’s even better. And for that, I have always been exposed to the privilege of being able to speak to my bosses freely. Even our CEO and Deputy CEOs. Mr deputy only sits a stone-throw away from my cubicle (yes, we have an open concept at work) and he never fails to wish us good morning everyday that he is in the office. Now that, is what every company needs. The priceless closeness.

Finally, to make sure you are overqualified for what you do. Reason being because at the end of the day, you’ll be able to be efficient at work and at the same time finish up in time to make way for your loved ones (ie: her husband and 3 beautiful children). I’ll be honest. I am not close to being overqualified in what I do. I started off not knowing anything at all about investment banking! But hey, if you cannot be overqualified, then learn it.  From not knowing anything to being able to take control of projects, that’s progress. The main concern was to make sure that at the same time that you excel at work, never ever forget your priorities outside of work. Life is not JUST about work. Work life balance is the way to go, and if Natasha can do it oh-so-successfully, to be where she is today, it’s not an excuse that we need to be so power/work/money hunger to make it successfully in life.

To me, passion plays a powerful role. If you love something, you’ll make sure it goes your way no matter how many tries it takes. If you love something, you’d be so willing to sacrifice to make it happen. If you love something, you will never feel tired in all the million and one attempts to make it successful. So do what you love, and love what you do. It’s the greatest tool ever! And for this, I can fully relate it to my love for my work, my YCM, my Broadway and my sports team. I will always look forward to try my best no matter how tired/how late it is.  

I guess at the end of the day, that’s why we need options. To me, the option also translates as an option to make sure you lead a happy life. Afterall, you make your own choices, so you create your own happiness!

P/s: Told you it is very very long

10 comments:

eE said...

Thank you Alia for summarizing the last night YCM CEO series. Personally I enjoyed every YCM CEEO series that I got to watch from youtube. Mind you 6 years in Japan made me lost track of what's happening in Malaysia either in industry, corporate world and many more. But like you I do believe in our beloved Tanah Air Malaysia. Thus I made my mind to head back home this month. I had come across your blogs quite few times and yes I enjoyed your writing very much and sometimes it gives me the positive vibes I need. Keep up the good work and I wish to meet you in person someday. All the best prayers for you.

eE, Kyoto

Kauthar said...

hi alia..i'm newbie here :)..got here after reading Vivy's blog..nway love the way u write..u go girl..

Alia Ishak said...

eE: You're back in Malaysia, and I am definitely proud! :) and you know what you should do? Join us at YCM of course, and we will surely be able to meet up in person. Thank you for your kind prayers, I only wish for the best for you too. Glad my positive vibes got transferred to you! Hope to see you soon :)

Kauthar: Thank you for your kind words :)

Farah said...

I literally wish to have your attitude towards life!! :) Love your blog, always had been a refreshing read :)

Alia Ishak said...

La Petite Cherie : Oh my! You're too kind, but thank you very much :) Life's only temporary is it not, so might as well do things that make you happy, and be contented with whatever we have :)

fiezarmy said...

Assalam,

Hai Alia...first time visit your blog. Very santai & meaningful! Keep it up to hear lots of inspired story!
Nice knowing you!..

aziza kamalia harharah said...

Assalamualaikum,
hye alia...
wow!that was amazing and definitely inspiring...thanks a lot for boosting my motivation to love my work...
this is my first time visit your blog and i'm glad i did...can't wait to read more...keep up the good work=)

Alia Ishak said...

Fiezarmy: Salam. Thank you for your kind words! Nice hearing from you too :)

Aziza: You're most welcome! Glad I managed to share around the motivation :)Good luck with work and have an excellent week ahead!

Aneesa said...

Thank you alia for sharing this. Appreciate reading something like this. only makes me motivated to work hard and play even harder ;)

Alia Ishak said...

AA: You're most welcome sweetheart. Glad it had that effect on you! And playing even harder after you've worked hard, that's work life balance :)