Sunday 15 May 2011

Vocals

I learned yesterday that some people are born with perfect pitch. So if you randomly go up to them and say "sing a G", they'll instantly hit the right note and sing you the most beautiful G note (without you having to hit the note on the keyboard first)! Unlike me, tell me to sing an A or B, C, D, E, F, G, and I'll just bulldoze my 'laaaaaa' through. I swear if you say sing a G and afterwards sing a B, my voice box will produce the exact same sound!

Pfft. I was not born with perfect pitch, I've come to terms with it.

I was told that these gifted people sometimes would have a visual moment in their head when told to pitch a note. For example, when you tell her to sing an A, she instantly sings it correctly and simultaneously, a blue coloured splash will appear in her mind! Magical isn't it?!

But I was also assured that through practise, you will get better at capturing it. A step closer to (but definitely will never be perfect for me) having that skill. If that's not difficult enough, currently I'm being taught to sing using my talking voice. I'm not too sure whether I'm talking greek to you now, but anyway, naturally when told to sing one would slip into their singing voice, which is typically 'higher' than our normal talking voice.

Females typically fall into soprano, soprano 2 (mezzo soprano) and contralto, whilst the males typically make up the tenors, baritones and bass (very low, thick rich-ish sound). *Phew* I do listen in class! :) Human singing voices may possess vocal ranges that encompass more than one voice type - and I am in between mezzo soprano and contralto, which is not the highest but not too low nor too rich at the same time.

I have the privilege of having a teacher who was born with perfect pitch, and it's amazing that Eunice can understand my vocal needs to the very core. She also understands that you should never be in your comfort zone too much or you will never progress. So, since my singing voice is rather high, I'm now working on 'Listen' by Beyonce (also from Dreamgirls) where I need to fully use my talking voice to sing. It was such a strain that at one point Eunice pointed out at my head and gasped "Ok, stop! Your veins are coming out already. Get some water to drink and rest your throat". But to be fair, I had that session after a full day of Dreamgirls' rehearsals, so pushing a talking voice after a day of singing was not easy. When Eunice corrects me by singing it herself, I'll just stare with admiration for she always sings so perfectly! So sedap, I'll just suddenly slip into a 'musical Disneyland' - where everything seems so perfect in this world (ok...khayal dah). Oh my God, I woke up with a sore throat the next day and my voice box got a lil confused and did not know whether it's talking or singing anymore!

There is never a day when I don't find new discoveries, it makes me feel 'high' sometimes from the excess happiness! :) Have a good weekend everyone!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hendrix has that. Well, he sometimes goes out of tune, but he sees music in terms of 'colour'.