Saturday 14 May 2011

We're Your DREAMGIRLS











"...We'll make you happy. Yeah, yeah, yeah. We're your Dreamgirls, boys, we'll always care. We're your Dreamgirls,  Dreamgirls will never leave you. No, no. All you've got to do is dream. We'll be there- yeah!"

Earlier this year, I started out with individual classes and choir just twice a week with my two beloved teachers - Eunice and Dominic. One's my Monday teacher, another is my Friday teacher :)



Few months down the line, we are now a team. Rehearsing every single day and working towards producing the first biggest Broadway production in Malaysia! I'm very privileged indeed! P/s: They still remain my teachers when rehearsals are done on Mondays and Fridays!

DREAMGIRLS The Broadway Musical Sensation
14-24 July 2011 at Istana Budaya

Last weekend we had our second Dreamgirls preview promo at the Curve after the Press Conference earlier in April, and the turnout was SPEC-TA-CU-LAR! Although it was just a taster of the songs and acts that we will be performing for real in July, the support and energy present at the promo was overwhelming!!



Rehearsals have started everyday and after each and every session, everyone just improves. It's like magic, really! The chemistry within the group is just so great, it's like 2 persons being very much in love with each other. Just that this time, it's a lot of us put together. "We are a family, like a giant tree, branching towards the sky..." (yes, that's one of Dreamgirls' song too btw!). Did I tell you that I started reading my music scores during lunch break and dancing in the office too at random times. Gosh...luckily I have colleagues who don't judge :P

 Look closely, I have my Dreamgirls' scores on my lap, whilst Saiful reads up about his deal!

What happens when my head absorbs a combination of work and musical rehearsals! 
Dance moves scribbled in my company organizer! I love my Company that much! :)

Have you guys watched Dreamgirls the movie btw? If not, check out what it's all about over here, http://redtix.airasia.com/events/Dreamgirls/ and http://onedreamonly.wordpress.com/about/. You know what was cute though? When I happily told my boss at work about Beyonce, Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Hudson in the movie and before I know it, he cut right through me and said "Hah! Generation gap there. My time, it was Diana Ross". I now can guess his age la like this!

-____-

Anyway guys, block your dates and get your tickets soon, coz it's now on sale already and the best seats in the house are selling fast... and at the same time, pray I don't fall off the stage ok? Pretty please? Well, some of my closest friends are planning to embarrass me with big banners like "Marry me Alia!" and "Go singing Banker!". Ish... But honestly, I really don't think they can tell me and my Dreamgirls apart once the creative team has made us all up! *grins*

 





So come catch some of our very own great local talents, Dina, Azura, Ruzana, Elvira, Dafi, Indi, Cheryl Samad, Joy, Tony Eusoff and the rest of us on stage this July! See you guys there! :)




For more information and tickets :
http://redtix.airasia.com/events/Dreamgirls/

My earlier post on our Press Conference :
 http://aneconomathemathstisticiansthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/04/dreamgirls-went-live.html

How you can get a discount on the tickets :
http://aneconomathemathstisticiansthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-all-about-dreamgirls.html

Us in the press :
http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/08sosmay/Article/
http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/SyaratketatbawamasukDreamgirls/Article
http://www.mmail.com.my/content/67799-local-stars-sizzle-dreamgirls
http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=11016%3Abroadways-dreamgirls-to-feature-malaysian-cast&Itemid=4

Our Facebook event page where you will get the latest updates:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154496451276579


Now, time for....

*Drumroll*

FREE TICKETS!

Be the lucky winner who can answer all these questions correctly and you will win yourself a pair of tickets to the preview night of Dreamgirls! Yup, even before the public sees it!!!!!  :)

  1. Who's playing Effie in Dreamgirls this July? And who was Effie in love with in Dreamgirls?
  2. In 1982, which Dreamgirls' solo was a no 1 hit on the Billboard R&B charts?
  3. Which company in Malaysia has been given the full rights to stage Dreamgirls in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand? *yawns...so easy!*
  4. Who's a singing Banker and also a Dreamgirl in this production? (My God, I was forced to put up this question ok!)
Send in your answers to myalia.blog@gmail.com NOW!  = )

This will run till 16 May 2011 before the Dreamgirls' creative team decides on the winner!

3 comments:

farhana said...

Send my answers already =)

Unknown said...

hey there! the show sounds awesome n i cant wait to go :D

i just hve a question, i already have a pair of preview passes for 8.30pm 13th july 2011. im a bit confused. will tht be the premiers, as in the whole show or just a preview snippet of it? i'm confused because it's called "preview passes". help! :(

Alia Ishak said...

Lindonut: You're getting the whole show tonight! It's called preview coz it's only officially opening tomorrow night. Tonight will be the media night coverage and you'll get to see it before the public does :)

See you there!