Friday 24 June 2011

Our Dreamboy - Kris Coleman




It just gets better by the day.

Especially for me as I am not a full timer in the Musical/Performing Arts industry and it is a privilege that I get to perform amongst our talented Malaysian artist. But today, I'm not only rehearsing with them, but also with our star guest, flown all the way from New York baby! Yes, a real Broadway performer from Broadway New york! You heard me right alright! :)

The public has been kept well away from this because the production team wanted it to be a surprise, till closer to the time. My fingers were already very itchy to blog about it the day he arrived. Now that it's a month away from the big show, we finally had our 2nd press conference a few days back at Istana Budaya and he has been introduced to the world!





I'm telling you, I had one of the most talented make up artist do me up for the Press Conference and photoshoot session! The most patient one too as I was not sitting still at all! Well, what do you expect, my face was made up in nothing less than 30 minutes. That is so long! The whole time I was either sneezing when he applies make up on me, making weird faces, or I'll be twitching or sneakily playing with the products. But he was still very nice to me. Eddy is just too sweet.

So...NOW,

Introducing Kris Coleman as our star! He's playing Jimmy Thunder Early!


He's not just any common American. He's KRIS COLEMAN guys! Oh so famous in America! 
*faints*

In New York, he was the cast in Jersey Boys since 2005 (still is). He played nothing less than 4 roles in the production and it's not just any production this Jersey Boys. It's a Tony Award Winning and one of the hottest on Broadway! Sister Act, A Midsummer Nights Dream and Big River to name some other few he played in. My God, just looking at the Broadway Musicals he has been in, it's safe for me to say that the WHOLE Dreamgirls team is very very privileged indeed! He dropped Jersey Boys to make sure  he is a part of us in making the first ever Broadway in Malaysia a spectacular one!

But that's not the best part yet... The sweetest and the best is

.


.


.


he was also the original cast in Dreamgirls New York! 

*ok, I'm getting very excited and getting all overwhelmed as I type all these out, so excuse any typos k?*

He played Curtis before, (which my beloved bully, Tony Eusoff is playing at the moment and doing an excellent job whilst at it!) and his childhood dream has always been to play as Jimmy Thunder Early in Dreamgirls! When he was 10 years old to be exact! A little boy with such big dreams :)

Homaigod! We not only get to tap on his knowledge and learn from him every day but he gets to fulfil his dreams and we've been having nothing but a lot of fun learning and spending time with him! We even made him eat Durian last week. At the same time, I'm having my dream come true as well being in this production! It's a dream come true for everyone! Win-win situation much? :):):)

 My Dreamgirls loves

Right now, rehearsals are very intense and things are just falling well into place. We've moved to Istana Budaya till the end of the show and energy is just superb every single day! As much as we are nervous, we're very excited! I'm really proud of each and every one of my team members. I must admit that I'm quite exhausted as we get closer to the show (ok la, guilty as charged. I have futsal trainings after rehearsals every night on top of that), but I'd never miss this for the world! Till today, I believe that I have made one of the best decisions ever in my life to accept and sign that Dreamgirls contract a few months back. Thankful, happy and blessed :)

Anyway, don't forget to catch us at Istana Budaya this July 14th - 24th! Get your tickets at www.airasiaredtix.com.


Come say hello too! We're one crazy happening and always-happy-to-be-stressed bunch! 

2 comments:

R S said...

I think I've asked u this before but how did u end up on Dreamgirls? It's so cool! I would love to join a play in the future.

Alia Ishak said...

I never thought I'd be in a Broadway ever myself, until I started my vocal classes with Broadway Academy. And then they came up with Dreamgirls and they had the auditions last year! :)