Tuesday 1 October 2013

SHUTDOWN

The United States of America is closed from 12 am till further notice.
The last time the US was closed, it happened back in 1995. It went on for 3 weeks, but clearly it had no impact whatsoever in lil Alia who was probably happily jumping about on the gymnastics floor. This time, it kept me a little awake last night, even woke Aiman up to babble about it to him. 

I believe 17th October would be a day to watch and anticipate. To think that the US would possibly default is just out of this world, so I don't doubt that arguments like what took place prior to midnight yesterday would go on for a long while, but eventually they will do a deal - even if it means raising the debt ceiling by a dollar to keep the US out of default (I'm being sarcastic btw thanks).  

I want to remember to have lived through it once, and that day is today.

Shutdown today is not too detrimental (apart from the few percentage points on US' flows). After Lehman Brothers, anything is possible - politically. October will be a month to watch and sit by the edge and I'm not saying I want more bad things to happen but it's not impossible.

No comments: