Sunday 17 March 2019

What I did in Uni?


So this was a question posted to me when I asked what I should blog about.

What did I do in Uni?

Ok guys, it may seem like a simple question but I'm gonna be very honest there's a lot more to this question. Let's take you back to 2004 when I had to juggle between studies and was still at that time actively doing competitive sports. I stopped a few weeks before SPM because I had a strict dad who feared I might have just lost it (hahaha! I was in loveeee with my sports life). After my final competition for Malaysia Open, I decided to quit rhythmic gymnastics and focus on studying for my exam that was 2 weeks away, or did my dad make me do it?

Right after SPM, I wasn't sure to wait it out till I get my results, stay home and chill a little while or to go straight into A Levels. So naturally we did it the Asian way and scout out for places to do A-Levels and saw that Kolej Tuanku Jaafar offered a scholarship for A-Levels! Applied for it, succeeded and got into KTJ right away for the January 2005 intake. No bumming around at home I guess! Well, thank god I took it coz otherwise I would not have met my senior in college by the name of....Aiman :P

Being the good Asian daughter, I followed what my (tiger) mum wanted me to do - accounts (Although when I grew up, I did have that thought about becoming a scientist or a Doctor after seeing my dad attending to his dental students and patients at work). Don't we all want to do accounting and finance and see ourselves applying to London School of Economics eventually? 

But that wasn't the case for me. I HATED ACCOUNTS in college. I was always struggling to make sure the balance sheet balance! Like omg why don't the ledger tally? Debit credit debit credit *headache*. 

I did though LOVE MATHEMATICS and STATISTICS. Those were my favourite subjects since school and it was always the first homework that I completed. No matter how difficult the assignment was, I was always super excited to solve it!

Of course you'd already figured that I did not make the cut for LSE. Let's just say my mum's dream of wanting to see her daughter doing accounting and finance went down the drain. LSE only wanted As in everything who am I kidding hahaha! I scored As for all Maths and Statistics subjects and not my Accounting and Finance. 

So guys, I ended up doing BSc Economics, Mathematics and Statistics.

The irony of it all though....I graduated and went on to become an Investment Banker! Totally loved balance sheet, financial statements, numbers, debit, credit, P&L etc. 3 years later I went on to complete my Masters in MSc Financial Engineering. 8 years in CIMB Investment and now I'm doing something similar in FashionValet. So you know what they say, never say never! You may just end up loving the thing you once hated :)) Most importantly, I had the best times in College and Uni!

No comments: