Wednesday 17 November 2010

The Unexamined Life

Whilst I was (studying really really hard) in London (*grins* hi Mum, hi dad!), I made sure I make time to go to all musical  and dance shows. Regardless. Whether I knew the story line or not. I just love music! I don't leave the house without my iPod and I never used to do my studying if my iPod battery was flat. Music can even make me do something I don't want to in the beginning (ie:running and gymming). 


Remember this ? I used to want to do performing arts when I finished studying. Badly. But I guess I'm not alone in this. I have this perception that if I come back to Malaysia to do performing arts specifically, I'll not go far in life. Period. A perception that has definitely grown well in most Malaysians. I don't know why either. It's a perception like I said. Can't be changed easily nor overnight.

Passion is the strongest factor that could take you very far in life. When you are passionate about something, you'd get up and do it even if you are dead tired. You'd go out of the way to make sure it's completed and you'd sacrifice what seem like your-whole-life just to get it done! I swear. 

I used to play the piano and dance ballet. Jazz and modern dance used to be my wednesday night classes at the Federal Academy of Ballet too. However, I personally believe that I had a good chemistry with rhythmic gymnastics. Something I did for a good 8 years. Competing for my beloved Selangor state and my Malaysia, dancing my heart out along with the music. Trust me, the experience and opportunity that you could contribute to the country is overwhelming. Opportunities like this don't come too often nor too easily. 

Whilst in University, I couldn't bear letting go the performing arts side of me, so I continued to create a dancing team with a few others and we managed to perform at the LSE competition and was invited to perform at Malaysian night shows in London town. Again, performing arts being my passion and doing it for the good of the country representing Malaysian faces - gives you maximum satisfaction

Passion will definitely take you a long way. I'm a big believer of this. So if you think that doing performing arts won't take you anywhere, THINK AGAIN! Passion forces you to work hard without realizing it sometimes, progressing up faster as you dance through life, next minute you know, you're the nation's best actress! Or dancer! All because you followed your heart and did that performing arts which you love. Passion has definitely made me risk my life to compete for my Malaysia at the Malaysia Open. With the worse injury, holding the team medal in my hand as I was the last performer and my SPM was well 2 weeks away! Passion allowed me Gold medal and straight A's, Alhamdulillah.


 

 Now let's be a little flexible and put ourselves in the shoes of those with a music degree. A dance degree. Performing arts degree. If there were opportunities back in Malaysia, the'd definitely not stay there in America or abroad somewhere to live their dreams, right? So tell me your opinion and what you think about bringing Musicals into Malaysia, performed and choreographed, all by our own Malaysians. Afterall, I'd definitely not mind paying less, rather than an exorbitant amount if we were to import in those musical shows from abroad and at the same time create a great platform for our Malaysian talents! Life's not all about the corporate world. 

 

So you tell me now. Let's start dancing through life and learn to live the "unexamine life". What say you about bringing musicals and broadways into Malaysia? Do pen down your opinions or email me at myalia.blog@gmail.com. Would really appreciate it very much, thank you. And to all my Muslim readers, Selamat Hari Raya Haji! :)

6 comments:

SS. said...

absolutely love this post! and yes i am all for bringing musicals and broadways to Malaysia. Malaysia is in dire need of appreciating the arts more. Excellent exposure too! :)

*Misz Elin@* said...

alia dear.. just read your post!

ive been having the same thoughts and ideas for years now!!

im deeply passionate about theatres and musicals, been taking dance, piano and theatre classes and performed here and there since i was 5 and loved them to bits!!

but like you, i dont think there's a future in performing arts in msia.. i think im a bit of a coward for not wanting to pursue it now (even part-time), i mean, why even bother?..

the reason why i dont even audition for any roles now is because im afraid that i'd like it too much that i wont be able to concentrate on my 9-5 job and afraid that i might later make a drastic decision like leaving my stable job for something uncertain like doing business in the performing arts scene..
i envy my friends now who do have the courage to pursue their dreams in the performing arts.. these are young, bright, talented individuals whom i've performed with in schools and dance recitals but the difference between them and myself is that i opted for the safer and certain route, hence im in banking :p

u know i love musicals A LOT right alia.. i memorised most of the show tunes available out there like the back of my hands! when i was studying in the UK, i tried to make a trip up to the West End at least once a month! there are times when i watched musicals on my own cause i like doing so.. i want to be able to concentrate and be mesmerised by the story, the beautiful songs and the perfect choreographies..

*Misz Elin@* said...

went to watch my all time fav musical Les Miserables for the 3rd time in London, by myself.. and i was miming the songs throughout the show and this couple next to me asked during the intermission, "how many times have you seen this show cause you seemed to know all the words by hard!".. and i said 3 times live and hundreds of times on DVD :p

i often get butterflies in my tummy before watching any musicals and i always do my research online and find out more about the history of the show before watching them.. and everytime after walking out of the theatre, i'll be high for weeks or months and wont be able to stop singing or you-tubing the show tunes!!!

owh, and i love musicals so much so i enrolled in a Broadway Dancing Class when i was in Kent and that was SO much fun!! and like u, i also performed in a number of uni events as well.. :)

everytime when i hear of a musical audition thats coming up here in msia, i have this deep urge of wanting to go for it.. but the confidence just isnt there and due to other work commitments, i usually push them aside.. but you know, sometimes im a bit worried that when i reach my 40s, i'll ask myself 'what if?.... what if i had gone for that audition..?.."... owh well..

on the other hand, i've been thinking bout this for quite awhile now.. told my friends and family this all the time too.. i have this urge to set up a company that could bring all these great London West End shows to Msia in a big way! i know we do have a couple of companies that are already doing that but i think they're not enough.. we need to expose malaysians to what's out there and make them realise that we do have the potential to bring our performing arts scene to the next level.. (i thought Puteri Gunung Ledang was brilliant and that it was on par with the shows in London, even better than some!!) ..
we have to inculcate this belief in potential investors and change our fellow malaysians' mind sets..

i've been meaning to do this for quite awhile, setting up a company that could bring a change to the performing arts industry in msia.. the passion is DEFINITELY there.. how or when i will get there, i dont have the answers yet..

u knowwww.. if u're interested, maybe you and i could have a chat about this some time.. we could call in a few others and see whether we could do or set up something that could help the performing arts industry in msia... im ALL up for it, whole-heartedly!!.. let me know, we'll talk :)

see what u've made me do alia.. u started this discussion and ive went on and on about it.. that's passion for you! lol..
it's almost 4am and it's hari raya haji in the morning.. so im just going to stop.. right.. now!

ps. Selamat Hari Raya Aidiladha everyone!! :D

Alia Ishak said...

Sya : Thanks for your support and feedback darling! Will definitely look into this :)

Na: Check out my message to you! :):) I hope I get to meet up with your team soon on YCM as well.

To my silent readers who jam packed my email this morning, thank you very much for all your opinion and feedback. Appreciate it a lot! Now let's create the Broadway and Musical awareness here in malaysia. There's always a first for everything isn't it? :) Keep the comments and emails coming!

MzSiti said...

hi Alia,
just read ur post!!.. like what we have discussed ystrdy, its a really good idea of bringing broadway to Malaysia. Malaysia really needs new talent to make our country even more interesting!!.. When the passion is there, everythg can be achieve. u go gurl!!

Yu Ming said...

Never would I have guessed behind a mind-boggling blog url like that, was a passion for arts and performing theatre! Though really, should have guessed from your gymnastics background!

Can't agree more with how passion drives us to stretch our physical and mental boundaries every single time we do that thing we love so much =)

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but will you be performing at the December show? Got a few other queries, will be in touch!